Do you own a classic 1911? If yes, you must understand how important it is to have the right sight of the marvelous pistol. Regardless of the purpose, you are using it for, be it competitive shooting or self-defense, sight has the most important role to play.
Though when you purchase your 1911, you get iron sights that are built-in already but that need to be replaced. Why do you need to do it? Because these sights are not the ones, you can use to aim in the dark. Looking at the positive side, these are pretty reliable but, unfortunately, will give you much-needed assistance in the dark.
So now that you know why the iron sights needs to be taken off, here’s everything that will assist you in achieving just that. From the tools needed to the steps you need to follow, all the information is precisely presented to you to help you complete the process perfectly.
Directions To Replace The 1911 Front Sight
What is the function of a front sight? It helps the shooter take an accurate aim at the target. Thus, you need to replace the previous one with the best one you can find. But the problem is the process may seem easy on the surface. In reality, the process can be a little too complex for beginners.
To remove the front sight, you need to put the right pressure on it. The pressure will help loosen the front sight, allowing you to remove the front sight. Still, this is not it. There is a lot more you need to know. Below are the steps you can follow to carry out the complete process.
Tools You Would Require
Nobody can carry out a removal or installation process without actually having the right set of tools to use. Besides tools, another thing that holds as much importance is the installation manual. The manual is provided to all the shooters that have purchased the sight package.
There is a whole set of instructions to help you remove the old sight and replace it with a new one. As not all the sights are the same, the handling may slightly differ. You will get to know the exact direction to exert force on while removing the sight. Along with this knowledge, you need the right tools.
You would need a screwdriver for the screw set you find on the rear side. There is no such requirement of choosing a specific screwdriver. You can choose any. However, you need to keep in mind that the screw set is very tiny; thus, having a tool that can fit those will be the right one.
- Brass Punch Set
While changing the sight, it is important that you do not damage the slide. Often, it is seen when a shooter tries to remove the old sight using a steel punch. He ends up harming the slide. The usage of steel punch set leaves gouge marks, making your pistol look damaged.
Thus, not let this happen. Instead, you should use a brass punch set. In the set, there are plastic punches to ensure that the pistol maintains its appearance. However, you may see a bit of residue after using this set. You can simply remove it using a coarse brush and a little drop of oil.
There is a huge variety of hammers you can get for this purpose. Most of the time, a hammer is given along with the brass punch. However, if you do not have it already, then you can choose a full-size hammer along with a big rubber mallet.
1911 Front Sight Removal Process
- First, you need to put some oil on the side of the front sight. You can remove the slide to let the oil seep, though.
- It would be best if you cleansed the slide as it has remained of the poured oil. Again, try using a rag or towel for the task.
- It is time to take out the brass punch. The punch needs to the put at the lip of your front sight.
- Now take the hammer and push the side on the opposite side. Ensure that you are not damaging the vice while hitting with the hammer. If it did not move your sight, try the same process with the left face rather than the lip.
- Now that the sight is taken off, it is time that you clean the brass marring. You can use a wire brush to perform the task accurately.
1911 Front Sight Installation Process
Before diving into the complete process, ensure that you have the perfect sight for your 1911. You do not want to spend your time installing a sight that will do nothing for you. If not, you will have to repeat the complete process.
- You need to start the process by placing the slide in the padded vice. To prevent the slide from damaging or marring, it is necessary that you use either a sheet of paper or tape.
- Now you need to break the edge of the sight’s dovetail carefully. You can use a stick to assist you in this task. Reducing or breaking the dovetail can prevent your sight from cutting up.
- Try to install the front sight now. If the sight fits in the dovetail, you can fill the sight bottom to make it a bit narrow. The filling will depend upon the measurement of the cut dovetail. So you need to take proper measurements from top to bottom.
- Now you need to get your hands on a chalked and clean 8-inch file. Then lay it down and hold the sight between the thumb and index finger. All you need to do is pull the sight towards yourself. Keep in mind that the sight and the file need to be even and flat. The sight should be halfway to the dovetail of the slide.
- Now, all there is left to do is drive the front sight in its place. You do not want to mar the sight, so it is essential that you pay attention to this step.
So by following the steps mentioned here, you can perform the removal process on the front sight without any issues. Similarly, you can install the new one for a better experience by taking a few precautions.
Leave a Reply