Are you trying to make your 1911 pistol as efficient as possible? Then replacing the rear sight can be the best way to achieve it. For a pistol, like 1911, it is essential to know the sight replacement process entirely. If you are a beginner, then learning it is the initial phase will make things easier in the long run.
Checkout More: 1911 Front Sight Stacking Tool
However, learning it may not be that easy for everybody. Only if you know the correct technique and have the right tools you shall be able to do it.
Directions To Guide You Through Your Rear Sight Installation Journey
Rather than just diving into the process, it is better that you know some minor details first. Your choice of tools will determine how easy the removal and installation process will be for you. a wrong choice may end up marring your pistol. Or even in the worst case, you may end up damaging either the sight or the gun.
Tools you would need
As your choice of sight may differ from others, it is better to know what the manufacturer says about the installation. You must have received an installation manual with the package of the sight. However, the principle behind the process always remains the same. You need to go through this manual to ensure that you are missing out on no particular detail.
You can also know about the direction or the side you would need to apply pressure. For example, removing the sight by applying pressure on the wrong side may end up being a bigger problem. Besides this, the complete removal process will be carried out easily with the help of the three tools mentioned here.
Who does not know the purpose of a screwdriver? You would need it for the screws that are present on sight. Keep in mind that the size of the set screw is tinier than the normal ones. So you need to pay attention while getting the right tool. Or else you will end up with a screwdriver that will do absolutely nothing.
- Brass Punch Set
For a punch set, the only requirement is getting the one that will cause no damage to the slide. There are a lot of punch sets that make use of steel. The only problem with using steel is that it leaves gouge marks on the slide. These marks may make your 1911 not look as good as you would want it to be.
So it is better if you choose a brass punch set as it will ensure the gun’s safety while you are removing the sight. Tough, unlike any other set, it would leave some residue. Yet, it can be easily cleaned by using a brush that is coarse and a tiny drop of oil.
In a brass punch set, the punches are made out of plastic. It is an excellent feature as there will be no marks and it will be easier to manage.
Hammer is the tool that requires you to be more specific about the need. For example, it would be best if you had a hammer that would take down the sight that is already installed on your gun. Now you need to check the strength with which this sight is attached to the pistol.
If you have purchased a brass punch set, chances are you got an appropriate hammer with it. However, if the set did not offer you one, there is nothing to worry about. Just make sure that the hammer is a full-sized one and has a huge mallet made up of rubber, not to cause any damage.
The complete process of 1911 Rear Sight Removal
If you have removed the front side before, the process may not be that confusing. However, there is a need for force exertion for the removal of the sight. You would make use of all the tools that were mentioned earlier.
- First, you need to pick up the screwdriver to unscrew the gun’s rear sight. Next, you need to use a pointed and narrow tool to push the firing pin down from the sight. You can apply a little pressure on the little notch that you would see inside the slide. However, do this step only if necessary.
- Keep on pressing down the pin from the exterior rear of the slide. To take off the back piece, you need to apply pressure on the pin. Pushing slowly is the key to doing this task without any issues. Next, you need to make the pin from the inside pop out.
In the middle of the process, it is necessary to ensure your own safety. So for the same purpose, you need to put the towel towards the side’s rear.
- Now you need to put the slide inside the vice. Just make sure it is tight enough not to move.
- Now is the time to actually remove the sight by disengaging both the slide and sight. You can do it by moving it from left to right. Now punch the rear sight using the set. You can make use of the hammer to do it quickly. You also need to remove the spring that will pop out once the sight is removed.
- Now it is time to remove the sticky material from the slides and the mold. It is basically the adhesive binding the two together. Again, you can use some oil and a wire brush.
Process Of 1911 Rear Sight Installation
For the installation endure the set screws have been backed out entirely. If you see that the sight is overhanging behind the dovetail, you need to measure the height above the dovetail’s base. Now what you need to do is create some clearance. File the overhang part that is flat to fit in sight completely.
Once you know the correct procedure to carry out both installation and removal of the sight. If you find yourself stuck in the middle of the process, you can seek out help from a professional. However, learning it from the very start will help you in the long term.
Leave a Reply